- AND/OR Logic - define the logic used between each filter condition.
- Bracket Arrows - the addition of brackets around sets of filters allows for more complex logic, used in conjunction with AND/OR logic settings.
- Filter Fields - the fields added to the Filters list in order to restrict the report results.
- Operator Selection - select the operator to be used in the filter, specifying how values will need to match, or differ from the condition defined.
- Value Selection - either define a value for the filter condition, or set it as User Prompt for the report reader to define.
- Filter Logic - displays a summary of the filters.
- Add Filters - allows the user to add more fields to the filters list without closing the configuration panel.
Between each filter there is an AND / OR drop down option the user can define. This allows the user to define how the combination of multiple filters should work together to return results.
And / Or
Logical operators let you specify how you want conditions combined. Yellowfin filters allow two types of logical operators:
- The AND logical operator combines two conditions into a narrower condition. A data item must meet the first condition and the second condition to meet the condition's requirements.
- The OR logical operator combines two conditions into a broader condition. A data item can meet the first condition or the second condition to meet the condition's requirements. For example return clients where their last name = Smith or their Gender = Female.
To adjust the logic, simply select And or Or from the drop down list between the pair of filters.
If you've combined at least three conditions in your query, you can bracket certain conditions to bind them together. You use this the same way you might use parentheses to change the value a in the following arithmetic equations:
a = 36 * (6 +12) as opposed to
a = (36 * 6) + 12
For example, you want information about the Events or People in the system on a particular day.
- To create a bracket, select the line that you wish to bracket and click the bracket icons (initially the right pointing arrow). This will indent the line and create the bracket condition. To view the result of the bracket read the statement in the filter logic section below the filter attributes table.
- To change the level of the bracket you can use the move up and move down links to change the order of your filter attributes in the statement.
If you want to return all the records you have that have and Active Booking Status AND have either a Booking Method of Web Site OR Media Category of WebView the following would be defined:
Brackets have been placed around the Booking Method and Media Category filters to enclose the OR.
See Filter Operators for more information.
- User Prompt which allows the report reader to define the filter value to match when they run the report.
- Defined Value which sets the value during the report creation process so the report is always restricted to the same result subset.
- Pre-Defined Period which uses a date range on the report, which is always the same calculation, but dynamic by being relative to the report run date. This option is only available for date or timestamp fields.
See Filter Values for more information.