OverviewParameters are a unique type of input field within Yellowfin. They can be used to pass values from a user prompt into a calculated field or to have a single entry field for multiple filters.
One of the most interesting ways that parameters can be used is in the creation of 'what if' reports. This works by creating calculated fields which use parameters in their calculations. For example if you had a Product Cost field you could create a 'what if' calculation that was "Parameter" x Product Cost where the parameter was the expected units to be sold.
Creating ParametersA parameter field has to be created when a view is created. Generic parameters can be created so that they can be used for user defined calculated fields or filters.
- Click on the Create button and select the Parameter option.
- Define the Name of the parameter. This will be used within the view and report builder.
- Define the Data Type of the parameter (the type of value you want the user to provide). Parameters can be:
- Define the Default Value of the parameter. This will be used until the user provides their own value when the report is run.
- Click Submit to complete your parameter.
Formatting ParametersParameters have different format options from standard filters. The process of changing the format options is however the same. Depending on the type of parameter field you will have different options.
Like filters you can change the display name - this is useful to provide a more relevant user prompt text for the user. In the Entry Style menu there are three formatting options unique to parameters; Field, Dial, and Slider.
- When you select Field as the entry style you will be able to set the default value for the parameter in the text box on the menu.
- This will be how your parameter is displayed on the report preview page, when formatted as a Field.
- When you select the Dial entry style option you will be able to set the colour, minimum, maximum, and default values of the dial.
- This will be how your parameter is displayed on the report preview page, when formatted as a Dial.
- When you select the Slider entry style option, you will be able to set the colour, minimum, maximum, and default values of the slider.
- This will be how your parameter is displayed on the report preview page, when formatted as a Slider.
For numeric parameters you will be able to set:
- The default value - the value that will initially be used when the report is run
- Display Type - you can choose between text field input or dial and slider. If choosing dial and slider you can choose the image colour to be used (grey, black or blue) and set the minimum and maximum values for these input processes.
For text parameters you will be able to set the default value - this is the value that will initially be used when the report is run.
For date parameters you will be able to set the default value - this is the value that will initially be used when the report is run.
Linking Filters to ParametersIf you wish to use a parameter as the input for a filter value (you may want to have a single input field for one or more filters that require the same value) then you can do this by setting the filter operator to "equal to column" and select the required parameter column.
Using Parameters in a reportOnce your parameters have been defined you can run your report. Unlike standard filters you will have default values defined for parameters so the report will automatically run if you do not have any additional user prompt filters defined.
You will be able to adjust the parameter values using either text box, dial or slider and click the go button to re-run you report to see new values.