Filters enable reports on your presentations to be filtered by a set of values. For example, a region filter will allow you to consume region-specific data on the same presentation. Yellowfin allows the use of single filters, as well as filter groups.
For filters to work on your presentation, you must add reports with user-prompt filters. These filters can be used via the left side navigation filter panel to anywhere on the presentation slide.
Filters are added to the presentation through a filter widget. Access the filter widget by clicking on the Filters button on the left side of the presentation.
The following types of filter widgets are available:
- Vertical Filter List: Displays the filter on your presentation in a vertically aligned layout.
Left side navigation filters
Filters can also be added to presentations without the use of a widget by using the left side navigation filters. This provides users with an alternate style of displaying filters in a slide out panel, rather than permanently displaying them on the presentation.
Click on the top filter button on the left to access a list of filters to be added directly to the presentation.
Note that to see this left side navigation filter button, the Left Filters toggle in a presentation properties panel should be enabled.
You can add a single filter or filter groups to a filter panel through the filter widget. (See tutorial on how to add below). Once added, filters will display in the panel available for presentation builders and end users to use on the presentation.
The diagram and table below provide a basic understanding of a filter panel.
Drag filter panel
Click and drag this icon to move the filter panel to another location.
Filter properties panel
This button brings up the filter properties panel. Learn more.
Remove filter panel
Click on this button to delete the filter panel.
This button allows you to open set up for manually linking all or multiple filters. (A separate option is available to link individual filters.) Learn more.
This button allows you to add user prompt report filters to the filter panel. Options include adding individual filters, or a filter group. Learn more.
Click on this menu option to perform actions on this filter panel. Option includes:
The filter(s) added to this panel. Select a filter value or ‘all’ using the toggle (see below).
Enables users to select all filter options in a list filter. This appears only if you have a list.
Use the icon to drag and move a filter above or below another.
Individual filter menu
Brings up a menu for the selected filter. Option includes:
Present filter bookmarks
Allows you to bookmark a filtered presentations, or apply a saved bookmark. Learn more.
Refresh cached filters
Clicking this button refreshes the cached filter values, but it does not re-run the report (see Apply below). Note that this button will only appear if your filter contains cached values.
Removes selected filter values to reset filters to their default values or no selection.
Allows you to apply selected filter values.
Note: Features 11, 12, 13, and 14 together make up the filter control. These always appear at the end of a filter panel, for the use of presentation users.
How to use a Filter Widget
This tutorial shows how to add filters to a presentation using a Filter Widget. Before you begin, add reports that contain user prompt filters to your presentation.
- Click on the Filters icon on your presentation builder to bring up the Filter Widget list.
- Then drag a Filter Widget onto the presentation at the exact location you would like to display the filter.
- A filter panel will appear on the location it was dropped. (Side note: click here for an overview of this filter panel).
- Add report filters to this panel by clicking on the + Filters button.
- Choose Filter to add individual filters (you can add multiple as well), or Filter Group to add a filter group. (In our example, we will choose Filter.)
- A pop up displaying available report filters will appear. This allows you to choose which filters to add from any of the reports.
Note: If none of the reports contain any filters, then the following notification will appear on this popup. Click on the Add a report link to open the Reports tab on the left side.
- Click on one or more filter checkboxes to select those that you want to add. Alternatively, enable the Select All toggle to select all the filters on this pop up. You can undo this selection by choosing the Clear All.
- Click on the Add Filters button on the bottom of this pop up to add the filters.
- The filters will then appear in the filter panel on the presentation, as shown in the example below.
Add filter default values
You can set default values for your presentation filters. refer to this section.
Change filter entry display
Filter entries or values will appear on presentations with the display style applied on them in the report. However, the entry display type of certain filters can be changed in the Present builder, without having to change it in the report first. Entry styles can be changed to checkboxes, lists, pop-ups, drop downs or radio buttons, depending on the filter type.
This is possible if the report filter meets all of the following criteria:
- The filter is formatted to display its values in the form of a list. Ensure that the Value Entry Method of the filter is selected as ‘Value List Selection’ in the report.
- The filter is not a date filter with predefined or cached values.
How to change:
- Add the filters using the Filter Widget.
- Click on the ellipses button on an individual filter to bring up its menu, and select the Entry Style option.
- Choose the new entry style from the list of options.
- The filter entries will be instantly updated.
The filter properties panel lets you configure the following settings.
Name of the filter. This can be edited as well. This name appears in Code Mode, making it easy to edit the filter code.
Enable this to display your filter in a horizontal alignment. By default filters are vertically aligned.
Hide reset link
Allows you to hide the filter reset option.
|Hide display name||Allows you to hide the filter display name.|
|Display name||Display name of the filter, that appears on the filter panel. This can be edited.|
Hide control panel
Allows you to hide control buttons on a filter panel for the end user. These include bookmark, reset, and apply buttons. Present end users will not be able to use these filter features.
|Auto run filters||Enable this toggle to automatically run reports when filter values are selected or changed, without using the ‘Apply’ button.|
Note: Administrators can also set a time delay, where the reports are run after a specified time once values are selected. This is done through the Content Settings > Report Settings > Builder Setting > Filter Run Delay setting.
|Apply button location|
Allows you to specify the location of the filter control panel, including the 'Apply' button. You can choose to display the button and controls at the top or bottom of the filter panel, or in both locations.
Select an event that will trigger when the selected widget is clicked. Event options include:
|Report ID||If navigating to a report using the ‘Go to report’ click event, provide the UUID of the report.|
|Sub Tab #||If navigating to a sub tab using the ‘Go to sub tab’ click event, enter the order number of the sub tab.|
|URL||If navigating to an external page using the ‘Go to URL’ click event, provide the full URL of the page.|
If navigating to an external page using the ‘Go to URL’ click event, specify the page target. Options include: